Grade 1/2 C&D – Koi fish in the pond

For the past two weeks Grade 1/2 students have been working on these beautiful Japanese koi fish in Visual Arts.

Students learnt that people in Japan believe that the koi fish symbolizes wealth, prosperity, love, successful career and good fortune.

The Grade 1/2’s began by painting pond water using watercolour paint. Whilst the paint was still wet, I gave the students some glad wrap to place over the top of their painting. We left them to dry and when the glad wrap was removed, a ripple effect appeared in the water.

The following week, some green oil pastel was applied to the water to create pond plants. Then, on a seperate piece of paper, students drew koi fish using oil pastel. Some stencils I made assisted students to draw the koi body shape, but they added all of the fins and details themselves. Students mixed and applied watercolour paint over the top and discovered that the oil pastel resists the watercolour and creates an interesting effect. Once dry, students cut out their fish and pasted them onto the water and plant background.

This is such an engaging activity where students get to develop and practice a variety of skills. Definitely one of my favourites at the Grade 1/2 level.