Grade 5/6 A&B – Collagraph Relief Printmaking

This week Grade 5/6 A&B started producing their relief prints from the collagraph plates they created during our previous lesson.

The students really enjoyed learning about this method of printmaking and they were very excited when it was their turn to use the roller and barren to print their own edition.

Only 9 or so students from each class were able to print (3 students at a time). It was a challenge trying to keep the rest of the class on task whilst assisting students to print. Unfortunately, we don’t have the space to set up any more than 3 printmaking stations. It is really important that students who aren’t at the printing station have work to continue on with. In this case, students were adding the final details to their ‘Blue Dog’ appropriations.

I think the prints the students produced are fantastic! They are so beautiful. This is the first time I’ve taught collagraph printing. I think its such a wonderful method of printmaking – appropriate for all levels with changes to the theme/design brief.

I asked Grade 5/6 to simply base their collagraph design on the art elements of line, shape and texture. They came up with some great ideas using a variety of very basic materials. The collagraph plates are an art work in themselves. I think I will display the printing plates with a print from each students edition.

By the end of week 10 I hope all students will have had an opportunity to produce their edition of prints. I look forward to posting more photographs soon.