Self Portraits – Grade 5/6 B

For the past three weeks Grade 5/6 students have been working on self portraits. How awesome are these drawings!

It can be quite challenging to draw a self portrait, but the 5/6 students rose to the challenge and worked with such effort and pride. It was an absolute joy to teach this Unit of work and to help the students develop their drawing skills.

I taught the 5/6 students how to use a basic grid technique to assist them when drawing from an image or photograph as reference. In this case, all students referred to a photograph that I had taken and printed for them. A grid was applied over the photo and then the same grid was reproduced at a scale of 1:1 on a new A3 sheet of white paper. Students used the photograph with the grid as a guide to draw their portrait using grey lead pencil and charcoal.

The portraits above and below are by Grade 5/6 B students. Next week I will post some work by 5/6 A. All completed portraits will be on display at school sometime in the next couple of weeks.